Conservative Treatment New York City
Medical professionals use the term “conservative treatment” to describe a wide range of therapies that do not involve surgery. Many patients suffering from back or leg pain can be successfully managed with conservative treatment, alleviating symptoms and restoring function.
Whether your spine condition is acute or chronic, non-operative treatment is always our goal with surgery as the last resort. Dr. Stieber’s focus is to help you return to normal activity and prevent further progression of your condition, whenever possible. Our comprehensive approach incorporates a multidisciplinary philosophy of patient care working as a team with other health-care professionals, and optimal results are often obtained with a combination of treatments.
Medications are prescribed to reduce pain and inflammation. These include:
- Aspirin for mild pain
- Muscle relaxants
- NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) to reduce inflammation
- Non-narcotic prescription drugs for treatment of moderate or chronic pain
- Narcotic pain medication for the treatment of acute or severe pain
- Antidepressants and/or and neuromodulating drugs can relieve neuropathic pain (pain from damaged nerve fibers)
Physical Therapy can correct postural imbalances, strengthen muscles, and improve flexibility. Types of PT include:
- Passive therapies i.e., treatment that does not require patient participation such as spinal manipulation, myofascial release, ultrasound, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
- Active therapies such as therapeutic exercise to increase flexibility, build strength and endurance
- Biomechanics i.e., postural correction, lifting techniques, etc.
Epidural Steroid Injections
Epidural Steroid Injections or nerve blocks, may be helpful when other conservative treatments have failed. Injections are sometimes recommended in cases of acute or chronic pain. The injection contains a steroid (a potent anti-inflammatory) and a local anesthetic for pain. Types of nerve blocks include:
- Cervical Epidural Steroid Injection
- Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection
- Selective Nerve Root Block – to determine specific source of pain as well as provide relief
- Peripheral Nerve Root Block – injection is given next to the nerve that supplies the painful area
Dr. Stieber relies on his medical expertise and sophisticated technology to evaluate your condition and develop a treatment plan. Early diagnosis and treatment can reduce symptoms and improve the prognosis for patients with a spinal disorders.
Request an Appointment
COVID-19 Update from OrthoManhattan:
Your staff and doctors at OrthoManhattan are with you here in the heart of Manhattan, the U.S. epicenter of the global coronavirus pandemic. We continue to work and care for you, our patients. Given the current and worsening overload of our fine NY hospitals, we are available to triage and care for your acute orthopedic needs, be they tendon ruptures, skin lacerations, joint sprains and dislocations and broken bones. In an effort to offload our urgent and emergency care facilities, we are happy to take your calls and arrange for either a telemedicine consultation or an in-person visit and treatment at our office at 485 Madison Avenue (at 52nd street.) Stay safe and know that we are here to help keep you as healthy and well as possible.