Steven Z. Glickel, MD
Orthopedic Hand Doctor: Hand Surgery Specialist
Dr. Glickel is a prominent orthopedic hand doctor who is devoted to surgery of the hand, wrist, forearm, and elbow with a particular interest in Dupuytren Disease, arthritis reconstruction, trauma, nerve compression, elbow surgery, arthroscopy and sports injuries. He was Director of the CV Starr Hand Surgery Center from 2001 to 2016, and is currently the Director of Hand Surgery at The Roosevelt Hand to Shoulder Center at OrthoManhattan and a Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at NYU Langone Medical Center.
Dr. Glickel received his Doctor of Medicine degree from Harvard Medical School, after which he did an internship and residency in General Surgery at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. He completed a residency in Orthopedic Surgery at the Harvard Combined Orthopedic Program which included the Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Boston Children’s Hospital.
After residency, he returned to New York and did a Research Fellowship in Microsurgery at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center followed by a Fellowship in Hand and Reconstructive Surgery at St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital Center with J. William Littler, M.D. and Richard G. Eaton, M.D.. He joined the staff at St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital Center in 1984 and was Director of the Hand Surgery Service from 2001 through 2016.
In 2007-2008, Dr. Glickel was President of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, the leading specialty society devoted to surgery of the hand and upper extremity in the world. He has been President of the New York Society for Surgery of the Hand, a Trustee of the Dupuytren Foundation, and is currently Vice Chairman of the American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand. Dr. Glickel has contributed extensively to the literature in hand and orthopedic surgery and is a frequent lecturer and visiting professor at other Medical Centers.
For more information about Dr. Glickel visit glickelhandsurgeon.com.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, Bachelor of Arts, Summa Cum Laude, l972
- Harvard Medical School, Doctor of Medicine, l976
- Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY, Research Fellowship in Microsurgery, l981
- St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY, Fellowship in Hand Surgery, Drs. J. William Littler and Richard G. Eaton, l982-l983
- Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, NY
- Director, Hand Surgery Service, Roosevelt Hand to Shoulder Center, OrthoManhattan, New York, NY
- Consultant in Hand Surgery (Pediatric), The Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY, l984-Present
- American Orthopedic Association
- American College of Surgeons
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Medical Association
- New York County Medical Society
- New York State Medical Society
- New York Society for Surgery of the Hand
- New York State Orthopedic Soceity
- Littler-Eaton Society
- Habilis Hand Study Group
- MGH Hand Club
- Dizdarevic I, Eden CM, Bengard M, Barron OA, Catalano LW III, Glickel SZ. Assessment of Intra-articular Screw Penetration During Radial Head and Olecranon Locking Plate Fixation: A Cadaveric Study. Hand. 2016;11:65-71
- Gluck JS, Balutis EC, Glickel SZ. Thumb Ligament Injuries. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(4):835-842.
- Kegel G, Barron OA, Glickel SG, Catalano LW. Steroid Injections in the Upper Extremity: A Survey of Injection Practices. Orthopedics Sept 2013; 36 (9): e1141-e1148.
- Ladd AK, Weiss AP, Crisco JJ, Hagert E, Wolf JM, Glickel SZ, Yao J. Instr Course Lect. 2013;62:165-79
- Glickel SZ. Update on Surgery of the Hand. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2013Apr;21(4):202-3
- Lutsky K, Glickel SZ, Weiland AJ, Boyer MI. What every resident should know about wrist fractures:case-based learning. Inatr Course Lect 2013;62:181-197
- Catalano LW III, Glickel SZ, Barron OA, Harrison R, Marshall A, Purcelli-Lafer M. Effect of local corticosteroid injection of the hand and wrist on blood glucose inpatients with diabetes mellitus. Orthopedics 2012;35(12):1754-58.
- Glickel SZ, Kuhn M. Percutaneous Pinning of Distal Radius Fractures. Orthopedic Knowledge Online Journal. 2012
Request an Appointment
COVID-19 Update from OrthoManhattan:
Your staff and doctors at OrthoManhattan are with you here in the heart of Manhattan, the U.S. epicenter of the global coronavirus pandemic. We continue to work and care for you, our patients. Given the current and worsening overload of our fine NY hospitals, we are available to triage and care for your acute orthopedic needs, be they tendon ruptures, skin lacerations, joint sprains and dislocations and broken bones. In an effort to offload our urgent and emergency care facilities, we are happy to take your calls and arrange for either a telemedicine consultation or an in-person visit and treatment at our office at 485 Madison Avenue (at 52nd street.) Stay safe and know that we are here to help keep you as healthy and well as possible.