Louis W. Catalano, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon: Shoulder, Hand and Wrist Specialist
Dr. Catalano is a board certified, fellowship-trained hand and upper extremity surgeon based in New York City. Dr. Catalano takes care of many musicians from the NYC Philharmonic and Lincoln Center, as well as many Broadway actors and dancers. Dr. Catalano was the Fordham University’s team physician from 2002-2014 and is the shoulder specialist for Team New York Aquatics swim team. He is an Associate Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at NYU Langone Medical Center, and Attending Hand Surgeon at the Roosevelt Hand to Shoulder Center at OrthoManhattan.
After receiving his undergraduate degree from Johns Hopkins University, Dr. Catalano earned his M.D. from New York University School of Medicine and was a resident at Washington University/Barnes Hospital. He was awarded a fellowship in congenital hand deformities at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, a shoulder surgery fellowship at Columbia University, and an upper extremity fellowship at Roosevelt Hospital. He was the Dept. of Orthopedic Surgery Residency/Program director at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital from 2001 – 2015, an Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons from 2000-2013 and Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at Mount Sinai West from 2013-2015. He was an Attending Surgeon in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital from 2002 – 2015, and Attending Hand Surgeon at the CV Starr Hand Surgery Center at Roosevelt Hospital from 2000 – 2015.
His numerous publications have appeared in many leading surgical publications. He is an associate scientific editor for the Journal of Hand Surgery and a consultant reviewer for the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. As a hand and wrist specialist, Dr. Catalano frequently gives national research presentations on hand and upper extremity surgery and was named teacher of the year by the St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Orthopedic Surgery Program in 2005.
Originally from Pittsburgh, PA, Dr. Catalano currently resides in Pelham Manor with his wife and two children. In addition to fishing, Dr. Catalano participates in marathon and triathlon races to raise money for cancer research. He is also a founding member of Team Continuum, which has raised millions of dollars for cancer patients and their families.
For more information about Dr. Catalano visit cvstarrhandsurgery.org.
- Johns Hopkins University, Bachelor of Arts in Behavioral Biology, Baltimore, MD, 1986-1990
- New York University School of Medicine, Doctor of Medicine, New York, New York, 1990-1994
Residency And Fellowship
- Washington University/Barnes Hospital 1995-1999, St. Louis, Missouri
- Pediatric Hand Surgery, Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, Dallas, TX, 7/99-9/99
- Roosevelt Hospital, Fellowship in Hand Surgery, NY, NY, 1/00 – 12/00
- Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, Fellowship in Shoulder Surgery, NY, NY, 10/99-12/99
- Associate Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, NY
- Attending Hand Surgeon, Roosevelt Hand to Shoulder Center, OrthoManhattan, New York, NY
- 2003 – present American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- 2000 – present American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- 2005 – present New York Society of Surgery for the Hand
- Dizdarevic I, Eden CM, Bengard M, Barron OA, Catalano LW III, Glickel SZ. Assessment of Intra-articular Screw Penetration During Radial Head and Olecranon Locking Plate Fixation: A Cadaveric Study. Hand. 2016;11:65-71
- Malerich MM, Catalano LW III, Weidner ZD, Vance MC, Eden CM, Eaton RG. Distal Scaphoid Resection for Degenerative Arthritis Secondary to Scaphoid Nonunion: A 20-Year Experience. The Journal of Hand Surgery. 2014;39(9):1669-1676.
- Kegel G, Barron OA, Glickel SG, Catalano LW. Steroid Injections in the Upper Extremity: A Survey of Injection Practices. Orthopedics Sept 2013; 36 (9): e1141-e1148.
- Catalano LW III, Glickel SG, et al: Effect of Local Corticosteroid Injection of the Hand and Wrist on Blood Glucose in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus, Orthopedics, Vol 35 Number 12; 1019, 2012.
- Catalano LW III (contributing editor): Year Book of Hand and Upper Limb Surgery, 2012
- Catalano LW III and Jones CM: Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Perilunate Fracture Dislocations, Operative Techniques: Hand and Wrist Surgery, 2nd edition, 2012
- Catalano LW III and Jones CM: Vascularized Bone Grafting for Scaphoid Nonunion, Operative Techniques: Hand and Wrist Surgery, 2nd edition, 2012
- Catalano LW III and Jones CM: Percutaneous Screw fixation of Scaphoid Fractures, Operative Techniques: Hand and Wrist Surgery, 2nd edition, 2012
In 2019, our resident shoulder, hand and wrist specialist Dr. Louis Catalano III was awarded the Castle Connolly Top Doctors award. He has received the award every year since 2014.