O. Alton Barron, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon: Hand, Elbow, and Shoulder Surgery
Dr. Barron is a board certified, fellowship-trained hand and upper extremity surgeon based in New York City. He is a Clinical Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at NYU Langone Medical Center, and a Senior Attending Physician at the Roosevelt Hand to Shoulder Center at OrthoManhattan.
Dr. Barron received his undergraduate degree in Engineering with honors from the University of Texas at Austin, where he was a Tau Beta Pi. He was awarded his medical degree from Tulane University, where he also completed his orthopedic surgery residency. He was awarded fellowships in shoulder surgery at Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital and hand surgery at Roosevelt Hospital. Dr. Barron has been teaching and conducting research for his entire career and has numerous peer-reviewed journal publications, book chapters, and national presentations. Dr. Barron is a member of numerous professional societies, including the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, American Society for Surgery of the Hand, and New York Society for Surgery of the Hand, for which he served as Treasurer (2007-08) and President (2011-2012).
He was a Fordham University Team Physician from 2002-2014 and has been a treating doctor for the New York Philharmonic Orchestra and Metropolitan Opera for the past 17 years. He previously held academic teaching positions in Orthopedic Surgery at Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons from 1998-2014, and the Mt. Sinai Icahn School of Medicine from 2014-2015. He was a Senior Attending Physician in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center from 1999-2015, and a Senior Attending Hand/Upper Extremity Surgeon at the CV Starr Hand Surgery Center at Roosevelt Hospital from 1996 through 2015.
A Texas native, Dr. Barron lives in Irvington, New York with his wife and three children. He enjoys numerous sports, including running, tennis, golf, basketball, and hiking in the Adirondacks. He has run fifteen marathons, and is a founding and advisory board member of Team Continuum, which has raised over 7 million dollars in 9 years for cancer patients and their families. He is co-author, with Carrie Barron MD, of The Creativity Cure: How To Build Happiness with Your Own Two Hands, published by Scribner in 2012, and has been Chairman of the Board of Trustees at Post University since 2012.
For more information about Dr. Barron visit cvstarrhandsurgery.org.
OrthoManhattan uses Force Therapeutics to educate, monitor, and stay connected to our patients through this clinically-proven digital platform. The Force Recovery Program supports the patient recovery journey through interactive video-based education and patient-provider communication. It is available on web, iPhone, android and tablet.
- University of Texas at Austin, 1979-1983. Degree: B.S. Engineering with Honors.
- Tulane University School of Medicine. Degree: M.D.- conferred 6/89.
- Roosevelt Hospital., New York., NY. Fellowship in Hand Surgery, 1/95-12/95. Director: Richard G. Eaton, M.D.
- Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital., New York, NY. Fellowship in Shoulder Surgery 7/94-12/94. Director: Louis U. Bigliani, M.D.
- Associate Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, NY
- Attending Hand Surgeon, Roosevelt Hand to Shoulder Center, OrthoManhattan, New York, NY
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Active Member, 2000-present
- Maintenance of Certification Annual Review Course, Boston MA
- Faculty, Upper Extremity Section, 2010-2013
- Course Co-Director, 2014-2015
- Course Director, 2016-2017
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, Associate Member, 2009-present
- 2013 Open Mtg Program Committee, Chicago IL
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Active Member, 2002-present
- Self-Assessment Exam Committee, 2003-2009
- Courses and Meetings Advisory Committee, 2007-present
- Government Affairs Committee, 2011-present
- New York County Medical Society, 1996-present
- New York Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2003-present
- Treasurer, 2007-8
- President, 2011-2012
- Reviewer, Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research, 1/08- present
- Reviewer, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 2009-present
- Reviewer, Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 2009-present
- Reviewer, Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2011-present
- Dizdarevic I, Eden CM, Bengard M, Barron OA, Catalano LW III, Glickel SZ. Assessment of Intra-articular Screw Penetration During Radial Head and Olecranon Locking Plate Fixation: A Cadaveric Study. Hand. 2016;11:65-71
- Kegel G, Barron OA, Glickel SG, Catalano LW. Steroid Injections in the Upper Extremity: A Survey of Injection Practices. Orthopedics Sept 2013; 36 (9): e1141-e1148.
- Co-Author with Carrie Barron, MD of The Creativity Cure: A Do-It-Yourself Prescription for Happiness, published in hardback by Scribner/Simon & Schuster, 5/2012
- Catalano LW, Zlotolow DA, Purcelli LM, Weidner Z, Barron OA. “Surgical Exposures of the Hand and Wrist,” JAAOS 2012 Jan 20(1):48-57
- O. Alton Barron, MD and Louis W. Catalano III, MD. “Examination and Arthroscopic Techniques” Chapter 45. ASSH Hand Surgery Textbook
- Catalano LW, Zlotolow DA, Hitchcock PB, Shah SN, Barron OA. “Surgical exposures of the radius and ulna,” JAAOS 2011 Jul 19(7):430-8
- Catalano LW, Crivello K, Lafer MP, Chia B, Barron OA, Glickel SZ. “Potential dangers of tension band wiring of olecranon fractures: an anatomic study,” J Hand Surg Am 2011 Oct 36(10):1659-62. Epub 2011 Aug 23
- Catalano LW, Barron OA- “Closed Reduction and Percutaneous Pinning” Chpt 3, pp 33-44, Part III: Distal Radius Fractures, in The Wrist- Master Techniques in Orthopedic Surgery, edited by Gelberman RH, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010